One of the all-time favourite web email service providers GMail added few extra features, 13 to be exact, via the GMail labs feature. You can enable/disable anyone or all of these features by heading over to Settings -> Labs.
Note that not all email accounts might have GMail Labs features enabled.
The features include
- Quick Links – Adds a box to the left column that gives you 1-click access to any bookmarkable URL in Gmail. Very useful feature, have enabled it. Can create a search with some criteria, and then quick link it to give a sort of “saved-search” feature. Very useful, say If I want to find out my registered user ids in all the webservices that I’ve signed up for, just create a search criteria and put a quick link to it. Neat.
- Superstars – Adds additional star icons. After enabling this feature, you can choose which icons you wish to use in the “General” Settings page. Not using these, maybe mark those “special people” with these extra icons
- Pictures in chat – See your friends’ profile pictures when you chat with them. Hmm, maybe useful if you have friends with weird-ass userids like myself 😛
- Fixed width font – Adds an option to the reply dropdown menu that lets you view a message in fixed width font. Again, not using this – for sending mail to mailing lists maybe?
- Custom keyboard shortcuts – Lets you customize keyboard shortcut mappings. Have enabled this. Very useful for a keyboard-shortcut junkie like me!
- Mouse gestures – Use your mouse to navigate with gestures. Hold right-click and move the mouse left to go to a previous conversation, move it right to go to the next conversation, and move up to go back to the inbox view. Nice feature, have enabled this, but don’t know how long I might be using this.
- Signature tweaks – Places your signature before the quoted text in a reply, and removes the “–” line that appears before signatures. Can’t use this and the “Random signature” Labs feature at the same time. Nice tweak, doesn’t make much difference to me.
- Random signature Rotates among random quotations for your email signature. Can’t use this and the “Signature tweaks” Labs feature at the same time. Random signature quotes – neat idea, but wonder who reads signatures.
- Custom date formats Adds options to the general settings page allowing the date and time format to be changed independent of language. Not using this, happy with the current formats.
- Muzzle Conserves screen real estate by hiding your friends’ status messages. Enabled this. For status messages I’ll use twitter, thank you very much
- Old Snakey – Kick it old school with Old Snakey! Enable keyboard shortcuts and hit ‘&’ from the main page to play a game of snake. Who doesn’t love snake? 😀
- Email Addict – Lets you take a break from email and chat by blocking the screen for fifteen minutes and making you invisible in chat. Hmm, Can be handy at times!
- Hide Unread Counts Hides the unread counts for inbox, labels, etc. Not using this, no need for this for me atleast.
Here’s a snapshot of Gmail Labs
So have you got GMail Labs enabled? Which of the features have you enabled? Do comment on it!.