So when I resigned from CGI, I thought I’d have to stay through the entire 2 month notice period with the org. However, since there was no dependency on me, I was hoping for an early release and thankfully that did happen. I initially thought of joining the new job right away but decided to take a month-long break from work and relax for a month.
A month seemed quite a lot, however the days went by so fast I didn’t even realise that my break was over. So here’s somethings I did to keep myself busy(few of those I had been meaning to do since a long time, never got around to doing it)
- The first week was pretty much devoted to completing a freelance job I had with SAP – to write a 6-part tutorial series on how you can use SAP Web IDE and Github for collaborative development
- I also spent a fair amount of time in playing/completing games that I had been meaning to since a while: Tropico 4, Transistor, Just Cause 3, Journey, Pillars of Eternity, Broforce, Uncharted 3 and few more
- Realised how much working at home without a power backup would be a pain because of BESCOM’s sustained powercuts(couple hours almost daily, if not more)
- Became what Jo calls, “house husband” – do housework ie get fruits/veggies, chop ’em, do the dishes some laundry(they seem so easy.. took couple of hours easy)
- Cleaned the wiring clutter in our house, esp the one around my desktop. Bought 1m of velcro, used it to tie around lose cables coming from the landline, Ethernet cable from Act, tons of wires coming from/behind the desktop. It’s not quite pretty, but still loads better than how it was before.
- More cleaning, this time inside the desktop cabinet, tied up wires coming from PSU(which is not modular) and replaced the fan which came with the cabinet(which are incredibly noisy) with BitFenix Spectre. I’ve been replacing each of the fans in the cabinet with this one, they are pretty silent and for the lighting fanatics, they’ll leave your eyes dazzled.
- Went on a 1,800km roadtrip across coastal Karnataka and Goa(will post travelogue soon)
- Did some light reading for upcoming new role
- And lots of sleep, especially thanks to above mentioned powercuts by BESCOM
Overall, it was a good one month break which went by way faster than I imagined!