I’ve always wanted to go on long road trips, but with both Jo and me working, trying to find a contiguous block of holiday has been rather difficult. With me taking a break and Eid holiday coming during middle of the week, we got a chance to do our road trip. Part 2 continues..
I’ve always wanted to go on long road trips, but with both Jo and me working, trying to find a contiguous block of holiday has been rather difficult. With me taking a break and Eid holiday coming during middle of the week, we got a chance to do our road trip.
With a date set, we next wondered which route to take? We considered Coastal Karnataka(Bangalore – Goa – Mangalore – Bangalore) and Tamil Nadu(Bangalore – Madurai – Kanyakumari – Thanjavur – Chennai – Bangalore), but eventually decided upon Coastal Karnataka after consulting with resident travel expert Ashwin. He also suggested few additional places(OK, he suggested a lot of the intermediate places) and we decided on this route and timeline.
2011 was a roller coaster year. Here’s the year in review, in bullet points
- Sold off my iPhone 3G and purchased a Nexus S
- Supposed long term US stay gets cut short.
- 3+ years of work on project gone down the drain. On the upside, learnt quite a lot.
- Met Manaa in person, after being a very close friend for 6+ years
- Was elected as Community Moderator for one of the Stack Exchange sites, Super User
- Wrote my first Chrome Extension to get around WebNonsense crap
- Bad security practice from the past comes to haunt me.
- Quit 3i and joined Logica at the middle of the year – after almost having joined TCS, rejected in final round of interview at Oracle & a bungled interview at Société Générale.
- Did a short term stint in Bangalore for training at Logica
- My beloved Nexus S got stolen, purchased a iPhone 3GS from Shivaranjan as it’s replacement
- Went on a road trip to Goa with Appy, AshwinSid and SwaroopH during the middle of the rainy season.
- Test drove the Swift & Figo. Waited for the new Swift to arrive in market and then went and booked the Ford Figo. Swift’s price put it out of my budget & couldn’t wait 6+ months for the Swift
- Met Harshad Sharma & Malcolm after having known them for *years* on twitter.
- Gatecrashed Ravi’s wedding.
- Ran all over Chennai in trying to get the paperwork & formalities done for the car loan
- Car loan got disbursed, did the payment, only to be told, couple days before taking delivery that I will be relocated to Bangalore
- Cancelled car booking, return loan since re-registration of TN car in KA === heavy losses. Total damages: 2.3k(loan processing fees) + 4k (first month interest)
- Got a permanent transfer to Bangalore! (woohoo!) Ashwinsid & 9_6 welcome me in style.
- Moved to a 1BHK house on rent. Much thanks to Dkris for allowing me to stay at his house and give expert tips on house hunting.
- Watched Poets of the Fall perform with front row, centre stage view at The Great Indian Octoberfest
- Got clicked for #TAD365, thanks Roycin!
- Met GeekGod & Waste-u Photographer, Waste-u Photographer’s bitch and Frequent Flyer Manish
- Finally, welcomed the New Year at a far-away coffee estate in Chikmagalur.
- Kingston V100 SSDNow 128GB SSD
- Belkin Gold 8-socket Surge Protector
- Mugen Extended Battery for the Nexus S
- iPhone 3GS
- Razer Goliathus Omega Control Gaming Pad
- DLink DSL-2520 ADSL Router
- Dell UltraSharp U2312HM 23” IPS Screen
- Lava S12 Android phone
Overall, a fab year. Happy New Year – and best wishes for the year ahead.
If you’ve been reading my blog or know me, you probably know that I have a rather regular set of vacation times – ie, a week’s break once every three months or so. This time, however it was slightly different, and it had been about 5 months since I had taken a break. Let’s go back in time for a bit, however.
Its been a very busy, hectic past few months. Besides my
day night job( I work at US timings, PITA), I’ve also started contributing to techie-buzz, though my day night job takes a whole lot of my time, and I’ve not been able to contribute much. My Linux blog and as well as this blog has been lying almost in a coma state. I plan to start posting some articles now and then, got it in shipshape with a new theme, so watch out! I’m still pretty active on twitter ( again, not as active as I used to be – even with my “low” activity I keep getting requests not to spam the timeline :p). I’ve been fairly active on posterous though.
I started using tumblr as my tumblelog, but switched over to posterous. The primary reason for switching over was at that time, tumblr was incapable of handling multiple attachments – it’d post the first attachment and discard the rest. Started looking for alternatives, and posterous caught my eye. Its unbelievably amazing how simple posterous is. Just send an email to [email protected], and you’re done. That’s it. That floored me over.
I’ve been actively involved in Web communities for quite some time, and now time constraints mean that current my involvement is at Chip forums where I’m the Super Moderator and at SuperUser( with rep of 7.1k ) – The StackOverflow for Power Users. I also lurk around in Meta – there are some good discussions over there. When I get some time, just drop by Reddit, Hacker News and TED.
Coming back to real life, as mentioned I’ve been pretty deeply involved in work, and come this Wednesday, I’ll be taking a break for about 10 days ( after a span of about 5 months, I believe). Initially, the break was meant just for the weekend – the plan was to head to Thrissur, Kerala and then hop back to Chennai. I decided to extend the plan, and head over to Mangalore to take a break. Deepti, Ankit & the rest proposed that we meet up at Cochin for the weekend,and so it was settled. So, currently the plan looks like:
Jun 23rd: Chennai to Thrissur
Jun 24/25: Thrissur to Cochin
Jun 25 – Jun 27: Cochin
Jun 27 – Cochin to Mangalore
Jun 28 - July 4th: Mangalore
Will be good to take a nice break. Hope I don’t calls regarding work, my experience says I will get it :/
Got nothing planned in Mangalore, lets see how it works 🙂
As part of Children’s day the Kannada daily Vijaya Karnataka had held an “Muddu Kanda”(translated means sweet child) contest. My sister Supriya had enrolled her daughter, my neice Shriya in the contest and guess what Shriya won the second place 😀
Daiji World features this story. Below is the picture.
For more of my Neice’s pics you can check my flickr set.
Found this post while randomly browsing through facebook groups. Was literally ROFLMAO as I read through this. Here goes
1. Sunday morning breakfast has to be sanna and sorpotel.
2. Konkani is never spoken, always sung.
3. At all family gatherings, (after a few drinks) the older men of the family will bring out their guitars and sing dirty songs and everyone will actually join in.
4. Every other Mangy is a far off relation.
I’m not sure how exactly this conversation came about but @prolificd casually tweeted me, asking me If I’d heard of savemylanguage.org I replied no, and checked it – and it turned out to be an awesome site.
Its got quite a lot of articles, a wordlist of Konkani words in Devnagiri script, with meanings in English, and also an English To Konkani and Konkani to English translator. Unfortunately the translator didn’t quite work, even for a relatively simple ‘how are you doing’ phrase. Regardless, its quite a good site, and you can even submit a Konkani word which is not there in the word list.
Chceck the site – SaveMyLanguage