Unfortunately, I picked up COVID – Sathya's World
This page looks best with JavaScript enabled

Unfortunately, I picked up COVID

 ·   ·  ☕ 3 min read  ·  ✍️ Sathyajith Bhat · 👀... views

Until now, I had the distinct privilege and record of never having to test for COVID-19, PCR or otherwise, due to either not doing any travel or being indoors, or both. As of today, the record sadly is broken, for post my return from re:Invent 2022 I have tested positive for COVID-19.

The Madness of Las Vegas

The impact of the mask was immediately apparent as I walked by the casino floor to my room - casino floors are open smoking areas (while ironically a board sits 2 steps away marking the food court as a non-smoking area) and I could feel the cigarette smoke through the mask, making me wonder how it’d be without it. For most of my visit in Vegas, I was masked up,

Unfortunately, I find it frustrating that despite being masked most of the time, not taking off masks even when taking pics, I still contracted COVID-19. The reality is that I did get a bit careless, removing masks on some occasions, especially towards the latter part of the week. I’m just curious if someone like me who took precautions picked up COVID-19, how are the others doing? re:Invent 2022 for me was a way to get ‘back’ to massive events and, given my current experience, I am not sure if I would want to go back to another massive event? Especially in these few months ahead (looking at my new employer’s company-wide event coming up in Singapore).

The Impact

While re:Invent lasted a week, it’s hard to determine when or from whom I picked it up. An ex-colleague reached out to me letting me know he had tested positive (and I am grateful to him for letting me know), there were other similar reports about the Heroes either testing positive or testing negative and having flu-like symptoms. And just as I thought I didn’t have any troubles, reality hit.

I landed in Sydney on Monday morning and waited for Jo to land (her flight from India arrived about an hour and a half later) and we went home. By this time, more reports had come in from the Heroes, so I isolated in the guest bedroom, which is also my home office. It wasn’t till about 7pm that I started feeling unwell. I just crashed on the guest bed and slept off. The next day morning, Jo ordered the Rapid Antigen tests, and thus after over 3 years of having evaded any tests, my first ever test and I ended up testing positive.

I reported this result to the Heroes group, knowing many of us were frequently meeting and talking to each other, as well as the other group featuring re:Invent attendees from India (well, at least most of the Heroes).

Current state

Currently, I’m on my fourth day, and while I haven’t lost my taste or smell, my body’s been through a range of effects, from body pain, a runny nose so bad you’d think it’d flood Sydney, and just because I said that a few hours later it dammed up and couldn’t breathe through my nose at all.

My fever’s been at a manageable 99-100. After reporting my symptoms and positive test result to the NSW govt, I received an SMS about applying for antivirals if I was eligible (I was not), and some advice for people who’re staying in with me.

Share on

Sathyajith Bhat
Sathyajith Bhat
Author, AWS Container Hero and DevOps Specialist

What's on this Page