Table of Contents
What’s been happening #
Ah, it’s been a busy week! I missed writing last week’s update, so here’s a combined update.
I spent my last week in Boulder. I chickened out of a Barenaked Ladies concert at the Red Rocks due to the hailstorm that I witnessed. Coupled with my jet lag, I wasn’t in the right frame of mind to attend the concert. I feel bad about losing the money, but I don’t think I would have enjoyed it.
- On a related note, at a concert at the Red Rocks a week later, over a hundred people were injured due to sudden hail.
My flight to SF was delayed by 30 minutes. I’ve experienced my fair share of flight delays, but this is the first time I’ve encountered a delay due to changing a tire on the plane. Whew, quite a doozy. The actual flight was pretty smooth, no problems here!
It’s been a busy week in SF, and I’ve been meeting a lot of people. Visiting the Bay Area for the first time since 2019 (wow!), and I definitely wanted to meet and catch up with a few people before I left. I met the following individuals:
- Sharif: Sharif joined our team as an intern and later became a full-time employee while I was at Adobe.
- From there, I attended a small AWS Heroes meet organized by Taylor. It was great to meet Chris Miller, John Vargese, Partha, and of course, Taylor.
- Dhruva aka Dkris: Dkris was kind enough to let me stay at his house for the first few weeks when I moved to Bangalore more than a decade ago.
- Rachana and Ishan: Jo’s sister and her husband.
- Nithin ‘Bondi’ Jois: He’s building his cybersecurity startup.
- Razvan & Diana: Razvan is a friend, mentor, and my former manager at Adobe.
- Santhosh ‘neo_natasha’: Former moderator at Chip forums and a good friend from long before..
As you can imagine, I was meeting a person or a group every day, and although I couldn’t meet a couple of folks, I hope to be back soon.
I went with my work colleagues to Sotto Mare and had some cioppino1. This was the first time I had heard of cioppino, and it was amazing. We ordered the Crab Cioppino (named the ‘Best Damn Crab Cioppino’ - a well-deserved name, I should add), the Whole Crab Diavolo, and the Grilled Rex Sole. The four of us devoured it all.
As I write this post, it’s July 1 and that means Reddit’s deadline for free API usage has expired. Apollo, Bacon Reader, Reddit Sync, and many other clients have shut down. Many subreddits went dark but as I had mentioned, most have returned. Federated sites such as Lemmy & Kbin are on the rise but still have content nowhere close to Reddit. I’ll keep an eye on these and see how they will fare.
Meanwhile, Twitter’s Brilliant Ideas(tm) continues, this time with Elon applying rate limits to prevent “scrapers” and “AI companies” from “stealing” data. Oh where have I heard of that before, I wonder? Funniest was that this rate late limiting resulted in legit users being locked out. You can’t make this shit up!
Anyway after about 3 weeks on the road, finally glad to be heading back to Sydney. I really enjoyed staying at Boulder. SF, however, not so much. Will be good to back on my own comfy bed!
Link of the week #
Too many links that I will share in a different post but I found this site that does CT scans of various things to be the coolest.
Like & Subscribe! #
Till next week. If you enjoyed reading this post, please consider sharing it via the links below and subscribing to the blog. You can subscribe via email using Substack. If you prefer RSS/news readers, you can click here for the feed link.